Epson’s EcoTank series of printers are designed to make your life easier, saving you money on ink, maintenance, and time spent on replacements by using large tanks that contain many weeks’ worth of ink (and more).
However, what if you want to use the printer for something other than its intended purpose? Luckily, Epson makes it easy to convert the printer into an entirely different machine.
This guide will walk you through converting an Epson EcoTank into a sublimation printer so that you can print onto T-shirts or other material instead of plain paper!
This article will teach you everything you need to know to do just that and provide you with lists of all the supplies and parts you’ll need to complete this project on your own.
- 1 Converting an Epson EcoTank Printer to Sublimation
- 2 Reasons For Converting Epson Ecotank Printer To Sublimation
- 3 Which Printer Should I Choose?
- 4 Conversion Kit Options
- 5 What Supplies Do I Need?
- 6 I’ve Decided to Convert. Now What?
- 7 Can You Convert Any Printer to Sublimation?
- 8 Conclusion
Converting an Epson EcoTank Printer to Sublimation
Converting Brand New Epson EcoTank Printer
If you have an original, unused Epson EcoTank printer (such as ET 4700, ET 4760, ET 2803, ET 2800, ET 2720, or any other Epson EcoTank printer model) convert it using sublimation inks (such as Hippo, Printers Jack, etc.) can be a great way to go green. There are only two steps to take when converting your eco-friendly EcoTank printer:
- Use the syringe provided to inject the ink directly into the tanks.
- We recommend installing software like ICC profile to get the most from your colours.
Converting Used Epson EcoTank Printer
Converting a used EcoTank printer to sublimation can be difficult and might not always be worth the effort. The best course of action is to purchase a new EcoTank printer and use only one type and brand of sublimation ink. However, if you are determined to proceed with converting a used eco tank printer, these steps will be helpful.
- Before converting your Epson EcoTank printer to sublimation, ensure that the printhead is still functional by running a nozzle check.
- Ensure the printer is unplugged, and all paper trays should be removed.
- The fact is, there’s no easy way to remove the ink. The simplest and best way out is to open the tank and flip it over to release it – make sure you’re prepared for a mess!
- Turn the used Epson EcoTank printer upside down again and wait for 1 minute. Repeat turning it upside down until all of the old ink has been removed from the machine.
- Inject your preferred ink directly into the tank
- Enjoy the new change.
Reasons For Converting Epson Ecotank Printer To Sublimation
There are several reasons you may want to convert your current printer into a sublimation printer:
1. The first is because sublimation printers are relatively cheaper and affordable.
2. The second reason is that unlike standard printers, which will not let you print anything other than images, sublimating allows you to print out text and line drawings.
3. Lastly, sublimation printers tend to be more reliable than standard inkjet printers, with fewer moving parts. This makes them ideal for students who need their printer to last throughout college or people who need a dependable machine for work.
Which Printer Should I Choose?
Inkjet printers come in two varieties: photo-quality and heavy-duty. The photo-quality ones use multiple colours and high-quality print heads, which means they’re expensive! They also don’t last long before needing replacement parts or cartridges.
Heavy-duty printers use lower-quality print heads to handle thicker inks but aren’t as good at printing photos. As a result, they tend to be cheaper but may not be suitable for your needs if you plan on doing a lot of graphics work with your printer.
However, If you need a heavy-duty printer, it’s possible to convert one into a sublimation printer (more on that later). If you want something more flexible and versatile, go with a photo-quality model.
Conversion Kit Options
There are several options for converting your EcoTank into a sublimation printer. You can buy a conversion kit or purchase the items individually.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade many components before you start printing in sublimation, but it is possible! Here are some additional recommendations
1) You’ll want to replace any ink tanks with new ones (this will be included in most kits).
2) You may also want to replace other parts, such as belts and rollers (not included in kits).
3) Lastly, if you plan on using photo paper instead of ink tanks, make sure your printer has software compatible with photo paper. If not, you might have to buy a whole new set-up.
What Supplies Do I Need?
You will need some basic supplies to convert your printer from inkjet to sublimation. These include screwdrivers, wire strippers, crimping tools, and soldering iron. You will also need a new printhead and ribbon cartridge with heating wires inside it.
Alternatively, you can use third-party kits with everything you need to complete your conversion in one package, including print heads.
I’ve Decided to Convert. Now What?
If you decide that converting your Epson EcoTank is too complicated or time-consuming, there are still options for using it as a regular printer. But, first, search online and see if you can find any instructional videos on how to convert it yourself.
You might be able to find one specific to your model, which would be helpful since each printer is slightly different.
You’ll also want to make sure that you’re buying enough ink cartridges so that you won’t have trouble finding more when you do run out of black ink. Since sublimation uses black ink almost exclusively, having extra cartridges available will ensure that your printer doesn’t stop working because one colour ran out.
Ensure you check in with your local Best Buy or other electronic shops that sell printers before buying any additional cartridges to see if they carry them and how much they cost. You can also search online for ways to refill old cartridges, which can be significantly cheaper than purchasing new ones.
This may not work with all brands of cartridges, but it’s worth checking into if you don’t want to spend money on new ones right away.
Can You Convert Any Printer to Sublimation?
While not every printer can be converted, many printers can be. It all depends on what type of technology is used in your printer and where you purchased it. Luckily, you have many other options, including Canon, HP, and Xerox.
This guide has explained how to convert your printer to use sublimation ink. Be sure to follow all of these steps closely and accurately, as you do not want any problems with your new sublimation printer. Let us know if you have any questions, and we will be more than happy to assist you.